Spinal Stenosis in Madison, OH
Lower back pain, leg pain, numbness and other symptoms may be signs of spinal stenosis, a condition caused by inflammation and other conditions in the spinal canal. French Chiropractic and Wellness Center is a leading treatment center for spinal stenosis that serves the residents of Painesville, Mentor and other towns in Ohio.
What Is Spinal Stenosis?
The condition of spinal stenosis involves small spaces in the spine gradually narrowing and creating pressure on the spinal cord and connected nerves. Most cases are seen in the lower back or lumbar spine. Spinal narrowing usually compresses the nerve root, causing pain and discomfort along the rear of the leg.
What Causes Spinal Stenosis?
Numerous potential causes for the condition exist, including:
- Aging: As we age, ligaments can gradually thicken. Bone spurs can form on the bones and inside the spinal canal. Discs between vertebrae that provide cushioning can start to deteriorate. Facet joints — flat sections of the spine — can also start to deteriorate. Each of these conditions can also lead to a narrowing of the spine.
- Arthritis: Osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis are two types of arthritis that can damage the spine.
- Inherited: Heredity may be the culprit if the spinal canal is not large enough at the time of birth. In this case, spinal stenosis symptoms may appear relative early. Inherited deformities of the vertebrae can also result in a narrowed spinal canal.
- Spinal instability or spondylolisthesis: The spinal canal can become narrowed if one vertebra slips onto an adjacent one.
- Spinal tumors: Tumors on the spinal canal can lead to inflammation or tissue growth within the canal. This could also lead to abnormal tissue growth, bone loss, and bone displacement, resulting in the collapse of the spinal column’s support framework.
- Trauma: Injuries from accidents could cause spinal dislocation or fractures that create bone fragments that pierce the spinal canal.
What Are The Symptoms Of Spinal Stenosis?
Spinal stenosis can cause lower back pain and leg pain. The condition can impinge upon the nerves that control muscle power and leg sensation.
Other symptoms can include:
- Clumsiness and frequent falling
- Pain and difficult while walking
- Tingling, numbness, or icy-hot sensations in legs
What Is The Treatment For Spinal Stenosis?
French Chiropractic and Wellness Center uses two forms of spinal decompression including flexion/distraction chiropractic tables, and a spinal decompression table delivering FDA-approved spinal decompression therapy. Manual adjustments by hand or assisted by an instrument are also employed for conservative treatment of spinal stenosis.
Chiropractic care focuses restoring proper segmental motion to dysfunctional vertebral regions. This ultimately improves function and flexibility and reduces pain, as pressure is removed from the nerve endings that line the joint’s surface. If you suffer from back pain or discomfort, make an appointment today with French Chiropractic and Wellness Center to investigate what therapies may be appropriate for your individual needs to eliminate your pain and improve your well-being.
If you are experiencing any of the common symptoms of spinal stenosis, please contact our office now to schedule an appointment.